We’re beyond excited to announce that our Birmingham café is now officially open again! In case you missed it on our social media – Bristol and Cardiff are sadly a little way off yet, but we hope to have some dates lined up ASAP.
Over the past few weeks we’ve conducted a full risk assessment for the Birmingham café, in consultation with our staff and in-line with all government guidance. We have full copies of that assessment available at the café, and we’ve pulled together the key points below.
The thing we’ve rankled with for months is how we deal with our board game library. Sanitising a board game after each use just isn’t feasible with mostly card components, and quarantining it for 5-7 days is logistically impossible too. We simply can’t remove the risk entirely; the only reasonable way we can mitigate it is by encouraging everyone to use hand sanitiser as frequently as possible.
We’re aware not everyone will be willing to come and play our games given the above, so if you’d rather bring your own games or try some of the many amazing print and play games available, we’ll waive the usual cover charge entirely.
- Reduced capacity indoors (by removing tables and reducing the maximum table size from eight to six)
- Added four amply-spaced outside tables in the courtyard
- Installing acrylic screens between tables where 1/2m social distancing was otherwise not possible
- Installed six automatic hand sanitiser stations in various locations around the café
- Installed automatic soap dispensers in the toilets
- Installed contact-free door opener into the toilets
- Purchased gloves, masks and visors for any customers or staff that wish to use them
- Created one-way foot traffic routes in areas that could otherwise become congested
- Removed all paper menus and replaced with digital versions
- Full table service for all orders and all payments
- Temporarily suspended our “games guru” service
- Introduced temperature checks for staff and customers upon entry
- Supporting the government trace and trace system by taking names + contact details with all bookings and walk-ins
- Reduced gaming charge to £2.50pp or FREE if bringing and playing your own games
- Reduced food menu to allow us to operate with a single staff member in the kitchen
- Staggered booking slots to avoid multiple customers + groups arriving at the same time and introduced 15 minute delay for sanitising tables after departure
- All food and condiments served in disposable containers with disposable cutlery